Directions to HMP Dartmoor
Prison Tel: 01822 322000
Choices Tel: 01822 890550
- Bus: At Plymouth bus station take a bus to Tavistock for the connecting bus service to Princetown. There is no Tavistock to Princetown services at weekends.
- Train: The nearest mainline railway station to HMP Dartmoor is at Plymouth.
- Taxi: Different companies appear to charge anything from £12-£40 fares to HMP Dartmoor from Plymouth. The average rate should be £12-£20. If possible it is advisable to agree a fixed fare with your driver before setting out.
- Car: From Bristol, follow signs to the Southwest eg Exeter, Okehampton (A30). Bypass Okehampton following signs to Launceston, taking the next turning on the left, signposted Tavistock (A386). As you approach Tavistock, after passing Kelly College on the right, take the 2nd turning on the left hand side signposted Princetown. Proceed for approximately 7 miles over the moors turning right into Princetown. Once in Princetown you will see the prison on the left hand side. (If you would like a more scenic route over Dartmoor, after Exeter then follow the signs for Plymouth). After about 28-29 miles you will see signs for Ashburton, don't take the first turning off to Ashburton (on the left), take the next one signposted Ashburton, Two Bridges, and Princetown. Princetown is approx 12 miles from the turning (down very winding roads). Once in the village of Princetown take the first right turn, the prison is approximately half a mile up this road on the right hand side.
- From Plymouth, follow the signs to Yelverton, Princetown. Once in Princetown turn left. The prison is approx half a mile up this road on the right hand side.
- From Cornwall, follow the signs to Tavistock. On arriving in Tavistock follow the signs to Princetown which is approx 8 miles away.
- The visitors' car park is situated approx 150 yards before the prison on the right hand side.
View Larger Map